Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kam Lasater <ckl(at)seekayel(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: No Issue Tracker - Say it Ain't So!
Date: 2015-10-01 15:07:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2015-10-01 16:48:32 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> That would require people to actually use the bug form to submit the
>> initial thread as well of course - which most developers don't do
>> themselves today. But there is in itself nothing that prevents them from
>> doing that, of course - other than a Small Amount Of Extra Work.

> It'd be cool if there were a newbug@ or similar mail address that
> automatically also posted to -bugs or so.

I believe that's spelled pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)

> I think it's mentioned somewhere in the commit message most of the time
> - but not in an easy to locate way. If we'd agree on putting something like:
> Bug: #XXX
> Affected-Versions: 9.5-
> Fixed-Versions: 9.3-
> in commit messages that'd be a fair bit easier to get into the release notes..

As one of the people who do most of the gruntwork for release notes,
I can tell you that that sort of fixed-format annotation is useless
and usually annoying. I can see what branches you fixed the bug in
anyway, from git_changelog's output. Actually useful information
of that sort would be commentary along the lines of "The bug exists
back to 8.4, but I only fixed it in 9.2 and up because <reason>."
Without the <reason>, you're just adding bloat to what's already
a pretty large file.