Differences between bit string constant sintax

From: "Oliveiros C," <oliveiros(dot)cristina(at)marktest(dot)pt>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Differences between bit string constant sintax
Date: 2009-09-09 11:10:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Dear All,

I have a table which has a field that is of type bit varying.

When I do a direct INSERT with , say, X'1F', everything
works fine.

But in this table I have to insert several tens of thousands
of records each time, so I decided to use
COPY command.

And if I build a file like this (columns separated by tab char)
primary_key1 X'1F'
primary_key2 X'1FF'

The system will complain on the first line,
saying that ' is not an hexadecimal digit.

I tried to remove the single quotes and it worked fine...
With values like this : X1F, X1FF, etc

Is the system supposed to behave like this, or have
I gone sideways somewhere on this?

My copy command is just this :

COPY t_unique_browsers
("IDUniqueBrowsers","browsersSet")
FROM $file$C:\temp\pg\totalAccount.sql$file$;

Also,
SELECT version() says :
"PostgreSQL 8.3.7, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400"

Thanx in advance for your help

Best,
Oliveiros