Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint

From: Gavan Schneider <pg-gts(at)snkmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint
Date: 2013-02-06 19:38:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday, February 6, 2013 at 23:31,
00jkxma2vt(at)sneakemail(dot)com (Alban Hertroys haramrae-at-gmail.com
|pg-gts/Basic|) wrote:

>On 6 February 2013 12:56, Chris Angelico <rosuav(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>>If you get into a taxi and ask
>>to be driven to New Zealand within the hour, no amount of begging will
>>get you what you want.
>>

>....Unless you get into a taxi in New Zealand.

....Which makes the request effectively NULL, planning to do
this makes it DEFFERABLE.

Taking a different tangent ...

Is there anything in the SQL standards about NOT NULL
constraints being deferrable?

To my mind we should not consider implementing non-standard
behaviour, but if something is in the standard I can't see why
it shouldn't be implemented, esp. when there is no compulsion
for it to be used.

Regards
Gavan Schneider