nomenclature

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: nomenclature
Date: 2004-01-16 11:09:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just overheard one of my colleagues on the phone to one of our users
taking them through the process of moving their PGDATA to a partition
with space...

With the various paths, service names, config files and environment
variables PostgreSQL appears to have a multiple-personality
disorder... Is it:

postgresql (/etc/init.d/postgresql, postgresql.conf),
or postmaster (main postmaster process),
or postgres (postgres user),
or pgsql (/var/lib/pgsql),
or psql (psql SQL terminal),
or pg (PG* environment variables, pg_* files)?

I guess the point of this email is to point out the current
proliferation of terms is not user friendly. Any plans/interest in
standardisation?

Thanks, Lee.