Re: pg_restore returns error schema objects already exist

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: DavidF(at)nhb(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_restore returns error schema objects already exist
Date: 2005-04-07 16:49:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

DavidF(at)nhb(dot)org writes:
> ... However, when I use pg_restore, it always
> complains that objects in the schema already exist. "pg_restore -C -d
> template1 /pgbackups/mydb2dump.backup" returns with "pg_restore:
> [archiver(db)] could not execute query: ERROR: schema "information_schema"
> already exists".

That's odd ... it sounds like pg_dump is dumping the information_schema,
which it should not do. Perhaps you are accidentally using a pg_dump
from 7.3, which predates PG's support of information_schema? Anyway I'm
pretty sure this must be some sort of version skew issue. You generally
need to be sure that pg_dump is not any older than the server it is
dumping from.