Re: Cannot execute null query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot execute null query
Date: 2002-04-09 20:48:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com> writes:
> I got this error when trying to use a view, so I suspect that it was the
> view definition query that was throwing this. I'd never seen this error
> before so I did a search of the list archives and the newsgroups and web
> in general and found nothing. From the pattern of it happening, my best
> guess is that the underlying table had some data in it that was busting
> the view query, but having never seen this before I don't even know
> where to start looking.

The only occurrences of that string that I can find in the source code
are in plpgsql: the various forms of EXECUTE throw that error if the
expression that's supposed to yield a query string yields NULL instead.
However, if that's what was happening then you should have seen some
indicator that the error was in a plpgsql function, not just the bare
error message.