Re: BUG #13750: Autovacuum slows down with large numbers of tables. More workers makes it slower.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #13750: Autovacuum slows down with large numbers of tables. More workers makes it slower.
Date: 2016-03-18 13:39:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com> writes:
> I actually wonder if instead of doing all the the hard way in C whether
> we should just use SPI for each worker to build it's list of tables. The
> big advantage that would provide is the ability for users to customize
> the scheduling, but I suspect it'd make the code simpler too.

By that you mean "user can write a SQL query that determines autovacuum
targets"? -1. That would bring us back to the bad old days where a
poorly-thought-out vacuum cron job would miss tables and lead to a
database shutdown. Not to mention SQL injection risks.

If we need to improve autovac's strategy, let's do that, but not by
deeming it the user's problem.