Re: Disk filled-up issue after a lot of inserts and drop schema

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pietro Pugni <pietro(dot)pugni(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disk filled-up issue after a lot of inserts and drop schema
Date: 2016-09-14 17:55:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

Pietro Pugni <pietro(dot)pugni(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Ive jsut discovered the issue.. I set "logging_collector=off in the previous email but didnt comment the other log* parameters, so Postgres was logging every single INSERT! This was caused the disk to fill up.

Ah.

> The strange issue is that the log file didnt exists when the disk filled up. I personally looked for it but it wasnt where it should have been ( /var/log/postgesql/ ), so I cant exactly confirm that the issue was the log file getting bigger and bigger.

Seems like the log file must have gotten unlinked while still active,
or at least, *something* had an open reference to it. It's hard to
speculate about the cause for that without more info about how you've got
the logging set up. (Are you using the log collector? Are you rotating
logs?) But I seriously doubt it represents a Postgres bug. Unlike the
situation with data files, it's very hard to see how PG could be holding
onto a reference to an unused log file. It only ever writes to one log
file at a time.