Re: Build fails with different versions of clang and LLVM

From: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Build fails with different versions of clang and LLVM
Date: 2018-04-23 15:41:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23/04/18 18:35, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2018-04-23 18:33:30 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> To add to the story: I installed clang 3.9, but I still got the same error.
>> I now had both clang 3.8 and 3.9 installed, but /usr/bin/clang still pointed
>> to clang-3.8, so autoconf still picked that up. Only after removing
>> clang-3.8 altogether, it started working.
>
> And CLANG=clang-3.9 to autoconf didn't cure that?

Oh, I'm sure it would have, I didn't try that :-).

> I've experimented a bit w/ this and there seem to be fewer cross-version
> issues in newer clang/llvm versions.

Good to hear. Nevertheless, I think we should try a bit harder to ensure
that we pick the same version of clang and LLVM. Even if they're
compatible, just seems more straightforward that way. And we now know
there is an incompatibility between 3.8 and 3.9, at least.

- Heikki