Re: Notifications within triggers seem to compromise performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Grégoire de Turckheim <gdeturckheim(at)scaleway(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notifications within triggers seem to compromise performance
Date: 2019-10-28 14:22:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

=?UTF-8?Q?Gr=c3=a9goire_de_Turckheim?= <gdeturckheim(at)scaleway(dot)com> writes:
> I guess we stumbled upon a performance issue with notifications sent within triggers (using PostgreSQL version 11.5)
> and I'd like your opinion about this.

We made some performance improvements for NOTIFY just a couple months
ago, cf commits b10f40bf0, bb5ae8f6c, bca6e6435, 51004c717. It would
be interesting to know how much those changes helped your use-case.

I'm quite disinclined to reduce the correctness guarantees around
NOTIFY for performance's sake. That's the sort of thing that sounds
like a good idea until you find out that it subtly breaks your
application, and then you've got nothing.