Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add a non-strict version of jsonb_set
Date: 2020-01-19 21:20:37
Lists: pgsql-committers

Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Jan 19, 2020, at 12:20 PM, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 12:46:19PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I think you are right that individual committers could set up such hooks
>>> in their own private repos. But that's not what was being suggested,
>>> or so I thought.

> Client side hooks of this kind could be useful for developers without
> community commit privileges, since local repository commits could also be
> rejected, perhaps with an “are you sure” type override option, and more
> than a catversion checking hook would be possible.

Yeah, the point that this could be useful to non-committer contributors
seems pretty compelling. The catversion complaint in particular would
*not* be useful, since you're generally not supposed to include catversion
bumps in submitted patches --- but I can easily envision that other
check-hooks might be of widespread use.