Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice...
Date: 2003-02-17 22:49:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> What's the point of indexing a column with TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
> More to the point, why aren't all timestamp formats stored as
> TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE and then converted to WITHOUT at parse
> time?

Those are two different types, with different behaviors. We're not
about to eliminate a hard-won distinction that's required by the spec.

Also, although the on-disk format of the two types might be the same,
that doesn't mean they have the same interpretation of a given byte
value. They don't (unless you run your database with TimeZone = GMT).