Re: UNIQUE INDEX difference between 7.2 and 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Houle <kjh(at)cert(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNIQUE INDEX difference between 7.2 and 7.3
Date: 2003-08-12 20:04:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> I don't know enough about the issues involved. Can we reasonably tell
> that a particular locale and encoding don't make sense together (apart
> from things like looking for UTF-8 in the name for example)?

There was some discussion about this a week or two ago. Apparently,
glibc has a way to ask what character set a given locale expects,
but there's no such capability in the C standards, so it's not portable.

Since glibc-based systems seem to be the main ones guilty of defaulting
to non-C locales, perhaps it would be Good Enough (TM) to make the check
on glibc, and assume that the user knows what he's doing elsewhere.
Needs thought though.