Re: moving FE->BE encoding conversion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: moving FE->BE encoding conversion
Date: 2002-08-07 15:05:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Are you saying keeping conversion function's oids in memory after
> current conversion is explicitly set by SET command or others? Even
> if we do that, fmgr might want to look up pg_proc to load the
> functions outside the transaction, no?
> Or are you saying we should load the functions when the SET command is
> executed? I'm not sure if OidFunctionCall could invoke the function
> without looking up pg_proc in this case.

OidFunctionCallN will not work, but I believe it would work to
construct an FmgrInfo record during the SET operation, keep that, and
use FunctionCallN when you need to invoke the converter. This will
definitely work for built-in and new-style dynamically loaded C
functions, and that's probably all we need/want to support anyway.