Re: Parallel Append subplan order instability on aye-aye

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parallel Append subplan order instability on aye-aye
Date: 2019-05-22 04:44:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Huh, idiacanthus failed showing vacuum_count 0, in select_parallel.
> So ... the VACUUM command somehow skipped those tables?

No, because the reltuples counts are correct. I think what we're
looking at there is the stats collector dropping a packet that
told it about vacuum activity.

I'm surprised that we saw such a failure so quickly. I'd always
figured that the collector mechanism, while it's designed to be
unreliable, is only a little bit unreliable. Maybe it's more
than a little bit.