create extension requires superuser?

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: randolph(dot)a(dot)strauss(at)nasa(dot)gov
Subject: create extension requires superuser?
Date: 2020-02-07 21:26:17
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/sql-createextension.html

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/sql-createextension.html
"For most extensions this means superuser or database owner privileges are
needed"
(this is the same text for version 12, but I haven't tried that version.)

If I create a database, I can't CREATE EXTENSION postgis;
unless I'm superuser. Is this bad documentation or is it just for this
extension?
It should be documented how to tell.