Re: Intermittent pg_ctl failures on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Жарков Роман <r(dot)zharkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Badrul Chowdhury <bachow(at)microsoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intermittent pg_ctl failures on Windows
Date: 2019-07-19 04:59:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 04:14:34PM +0700, Жарков Роман wrote:
>> I have tested clean REL_11_STABLE.
>> Commit f02259fe was reverted by df8b5f3e in this branch.
>> So pg_ctl uses “old” open() function.

> Yeah, that was a failure from me, so I tend to be rather very careful
> about anything related to Windows. However, after that we have added
> 40cfe86 about which nobody has complained yet, and the number of
> buildfarm failures about pg_ctl concurrency on HEAD has gone down to
> zero since (perhaps I am missing something?).

Hm, I think 0ba06e0 is actually the relevant change here? Though
40cfe86 was a necessary cleanup fix.

I'm too tired to dig in the buildfarm database to be sure, but my
impression is that the failure rate is much-better-but-not-zero.
So I'd support back-patching those two commits, but I'm not sure
if that's the end of the conversation.