Re: 10.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10.0
Date: 2016-05-13 19:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> On 05/13/2016 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So I think we should solve these problems at a stroke, and save ourselves
>> lots of breath in the future, by getting rid of the whole "major major"
>> idea and going over to a two-part version numbering scheme.

> I'm for it.

> Note that we will need to do a *bunch* of education around the change in
> version numbering schemes. And a bunch of people and packagers will
> need to change their version comparison scripts (while everyone should
> be using the sortable version numbers, not everyone does).

Indeed.

> So if we're going to make that change, I suggest doing it *now* to get
> the word out.

Well, actually, part of the reason for proposing that we start it with the
next release cycle is that I think we need lead time to make it happen.
If we try to replace "9.6" with "10" at this stage of the cycle, it's
going to be a mess. But if we start using that numbering scheme when
we fork the next development branch, there will be time for people to
get used to it.