Re: XLog: how to log?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XLog: how to log?
Date: 2004-05-11 21:53:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl> writes:
> Both xact commit and abort have timestamps in the XLog. I think valid
> recovery points are transaction commit/abort, not transaction start.

A transaction abort cannot be an interesting stop point either; you may
as well stop at the latest preceding commit. Whatever the aborted
transaction did need not be entered into the database.

The abort record timestamps may be useful for navigation (to help
determine where you want to stop) but AFAICS only main transaction
commit records are useful stopping points.