Re: Create Domain....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: "Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create Domain....
Date: 2002-02-17 01:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> and the like. There is currently no column in pg_type which stores
> information similar to atttypmod. So, I'd like to create one ->
> pg_type.typmod. The idea is that this value will be copied across to
> pg_attribute with other type information if it is not null. Since
> pg_type.typeprtlen isn't used (according to docs) would it be safe to
> simply rename and resize (int4) this column?

Make another column. It'll be good for you ;-) ... and you have to
learn how anyway, if you intend to finish out this project.

> Something of great fun however is DROP TYPE text.

Yeah, there's not really any support presently for dealing with
dependencies on dropped objects. IMHO it would be a mistake to solve
that just in the context of any one kind of object (such as types);
it's a generic issue.