Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-07 14:14:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org> writes:
> Keep in mind that the current
> FE/BE protocol limits database and user names to 64 characters.

That seems to be a good reason to combine the two on the postmaster
side, a la Bruce's proposed patch. If the client side does it then
the "user(at)database" has to all fit in 64 characters.

> That's another thing I'd like to fix in 7.4.

Yup. Do we have a list going of the things we want to fix in the next
protocol change? Offhand I remember

* redesign startup packet to eliminate fixed field widths
* fix COPY protocol to allow resync after errors, support binary data
* less brain-dead protocol for fast-path function calls
* allow NOTIFY to include parameters
* richer ERROR reports (error codes, other stuff)

and I'm sure there's more. None of this stuff seems to be in the TODO
list though.