Re: obtuse plpgsql function needs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: obtuse plpgsql function needs
Date: 2003-07-24 05:07:18
Lists: pgsql-sql

elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com> writes:
> So, other than C, plperl or pltcl is the way to go.
> As long as they can input generic composite types
> (I wasn't sure of that, but I should have known),

Come to think of it, that is a problem: we don't have any way to declare
a function as taking "any tuple type". So even though pltcl or plperl
functions could be written to work with such input, we can't declare them.
This is a problem even for C functions. You could declare a C function
as taking "any", but then you can't even check that what you got was a
tuple ...

Something to work on for 7.5, I suppose.