Re: Read consistency when using synchronous_commit=off

From: Ravi Krishna <srkrishna(at)fastmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Read consistency when using synchronous_commit=off
Date: 2019-01-16 05:16:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry I misunderstood. The term "read consistency" is generally used
either in the context of isolation level or in the context of slaves.
> We don't have standby instance, as I have mentioned we are using just
> one instance of postgres serving local clients running on the same
> machine, do you know in this case what is the behavior ?>

You are good. All transactions update buffer cache too, along with WAL
buffer and hence other sessions can immediately see the changes.
synchronous_commit=off will only reduce the fsync calls, which makes
them less crash safe, but the database consistency is not compromised.