Column names - time

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Mark Aves <maves(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Column names - time
Date: 2001-10-16 11:25:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In moving from 7.1.3 to 7.2devel (for bug fixes) we've encountered a
problem with a, previously valid, column name: time. In 7.1.3 the
following worked:

CREATE TABLE test(time INTEGER);

while in 7.2devel it results in a parse error:

ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "time"

Looking at the source I see this is a result of 'time' being added to
ColLabel in backend/parser/gram.y earlier this month.

This effects interface code and database migration using pg_dump.

Obviously a new column name will have to be used, however is there a
definitive list of keywords to avoid so such an occurance wouldn't
happen in a production system? Currently these include:

abort
all
analyse
analyze