Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lowell(dot)Hought(at)faa(dot)gov
Cc: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DNS vs /etc/hosts
Date: 2005-08-06 04:38:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Lowell(dot)Hought(at)faa(dot)gov writes:
> Your are correct in that 8.0 is doing a AAAA request first. I am running
> Red Hat version 8.0. The difference in the way 7.2 and 8.0 resolve the
> host option has to be because of the change from gethostbyname to
> getaddrinfo. Is there some way I can force my machine to do an A search
> before a AAAA search?

On a recent RH system, "man 5 resolver" suggests that putting "options
inet6" into /etc/resolv.conf is what makes this happen ... if there is
such an entry on your system, try removing it. RH 8.0 is a good ways
back though, so read the local version of that man page before doing
anything with that config file.

I concur with Michael's previous suggestion that the best answer
is to fix the clearly-broken DNS environment you're dealing with.
It is no longer acceptable for anyone to be running nameservers
that have not heard of IPv6 --- unless it's for a network that
only contains clients that have not heard of IPv6, which yours
evidently is not. Have a word with your local network admin.