Re: pg_bsd_indent compiles bytecode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_bsd_indent compiles bytecode
Date: 2020-06-27 21:12:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 05:56:10PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I just noticed that when you compile pg_bsd_indent with a PG tree that
>> has --enable-jit (or something around that), then it compiles the source
>> files into bytecode.
>> Obviously this is not harmful since these files don't get installed, but
>> I wonder if our compiles aren't being excessively generous.

> Are you saying pg_bsd_indent indents the JIT output files? I assumed
> people only ran pg_bsd_indent on dist-clean trees.

I think what he means is that when pg_bsd_indent absorbs the CFLAGS
settings that PG uses (because it uses the pgxs build infrastructure),
it ends up also building .bc files.

I wouldn't care about this particularly for pg_bsd_indent itself,
but it suggests that we're probably building .bc files for client-side
files, which seems like a substantial waste of time. Maybe we need
different CFLAGS for client and server?