RE: Re: Re: Storing images in PG?

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Eric Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
Cc: Gunnar Rnning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>, "Andrew SNow" <andrew(at)modulus(dot)org>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: Re: Storing images in PG?
Date: 2001-08-16 13:15:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Eric Ridge writes:
> [files in or out of the DB? ]
> For small sets of files you're probably right. When you start to
> reach millions of files, it makes much more sense to separate
> things.

I think it's probably got more to do with the purpose of the database
and how desirable it is to have it self contained. Many installations
just use a single database but personally the software I'm involved in
has lots of databases. It makes a lot of sense to have everything
contained in a single location so backups can be done effortlessly
using standard tools.

Lee.