Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Gopi G <gopiputty(at)gmail(dot)com>, Francis Santiago <santiagocfc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how do i change the password for 'postgres' user
Date: 2018-02-26 08:30:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Gopi G wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Francis Santiago <santiagocfc(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > you entered as the Postgres user, it seems that not because he says : postgres=>
> >
> > When you enter with the postgres user, it is: postgres=#

> > > I have postgres 9.2 running in AWS EC2 (aws linux) instance.
> > > I followed documentation and tried to do
> > > postgres=> ALTER USER Postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';
> > > ERROR: must be superuser to alter replication users
> > >

> > > surprisingly I am not finding any way to solve this problem.
> > > and how do I login using 'postgres' linux os user that is created when I installed postgres 9.2?
> > >
> > > gopi
> >
> I did login like postgres.
> Here is from my command:
>
> ~$ sudo -u postgres psql postgres
> could not change directory to "/home/ec2-user"
> Password:
> psql (9.2.24)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> postgres=>

Check \du in psql to see if you have any superusers left.

If not, you must stop the server and start it in single user mode
(postgres --single -D /data/directory dbname).

Once you are connected as superuser or in single user mode,
give "postgres" its superuser privilege back:

ALTER ROLE postgres SUPERUSER;

Yours,
Laurenz Albe