Re: Details after Load Peak was: OT: Performance of VM

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)lists(dot)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Details after Load Peak was: OT: Performance of VM
Date: 2018-02-06 15:30:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2018-02-06 at 15:31 +0100, Thomas Güttler wrote:

.... But one thing is still unclear. Imagine I see a peak in the chart. The peak
> was some hours ago. AFAIK sar has only the aggregated numbers.
>
> But I need to know details if I want to answer the question "Why?". The peak
> has gone and ps/top/iotop don't help me anymore.

The typical solution is to store stats on everything you can think of
with munin, cacti, ganglia, or similar systems.

I know with ganglia at least, in addition to all the many details it
already tracks on a system and the many plugins already available for
it, you can write your own plugins or simple agents, so you can keep
stats on anything you can code around.

Munin's probably the easiest to try out, though.