Re: [HACKERS] Threads

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Duane Currie <dcurrie(at)sandman(dot)acadiau(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Threads
Date: 1999-08-03 15:37:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> Just curious here, but out of all the platforms we support, are there any
> remaining that don't support threads?

Pretty much all of the older ones, I imagine --- I know HPUX 9 does not.

Of course HPUX 9 will be a dead issue by the end of the year, because
HP isn't going to fix its Y2K bugs; I wonder whether there is a similar
forcing function for old SunOS and other systems?

But still, I believe there are several different flavors of thread
packages running around, so we will be opening a brand new can of
portability worms. We'd best keep a "no threads" fallback option...