Re: copy files to postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: John Zhang <jzhang(at)jimmy(dot)harvard(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: copy files to postgresql
Date: 2002-08-06 14:01:07
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I believe that soon-to-be-released version 7.3 will
> have the ability to import data to specific columns,
> as you are trying to do. For now, you will have to
> edit your input file to insert values (even if null)
> for the missing columns.

A usually-easier way is to make a temp table that matches the column
format of the source file, COPY into that, and then do
INSERT INTO finaltable SELECT foo,bar,... FROM temptable
In the INSERT/SELECT it's trivial to do any rearrangement you want.

7.3 will add some more flexibility to COPY, but it only saves a
step, doesn't really do anything you can't do with a temp table.