Re: GiST indexing problems...

From: David McWherter <udmcwher(at)mcs(dot)drexel(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST indexing problems...
Date: 2001-05-05 15:29:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Beautiful! That fixed my problem. One thing that might be
useful is to update the Index method-extension documentation
on the web site to reflect this problem a bit...if somebody
just wants to get a working index, it can be a bit misleading.
I'll probably go and see if I can construct a few words on
it after my current workload subsides a bit.

-David

Tom Lane writes:
> David McWherter <udmcwher(at)mcs(dot)drexel(dot)edu> writes:
> > But I still get the issue that my queries don't seem to trigger the
> > GiST indexes to be used. Perhaps the problem is that the system
> > just thinks that the query doesn't need an index to increase
> > performance, i've only got about a dozen elements in the database
> > right now for testing purposes.
>
> Ah, so. You're right, you need more data.
>
> You could try
> SET ENABLE_SEQSCAN TO OFF
> if you just want to force use of the index for testing purposes.
>
> regards, tom lane

David T. McWherter udmcwher(at)mcs(dot)drexel(dot)edu

Never pay a compliment as if expecting a receipt.