CREATE TABLE & composite type

From: gmb <gmbouwer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATE TABLE & composite type
Date: 2017-06-28 13:27:27
Lists: pgsql-general

HiReferencing https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/rowtypes.htmlTaking
a chance here.... Is there a short-hand way in which I can create a table
with the same structure as a user defined composite type ? E.g.CREATE TYPE
inventory_item AS ( name text, supplier_id integer,
price numeric);CREATE TABLE inventory_item_table ( like type
inventory_item );We're using composite types rather extensively as the
return structure of functions:CREATE FUNCTION some_func() RETURNS SETOF
inventory_item ....; Of course I can:CREATE TABLE inventory_item_table AS (
SELECT some_func( ) );But , in some cases , where the function returns a
large number of records I want to create the table beforehand in order to
add indexes:CREATE TABLE inventory_item_table ( like type inventory_item
);CREATE INDEX idx ON inventory_item_table ( id );INSERT INTO
inventory_item_table SELECT some_func();Will appreciate any
input.Regardsgmbouwer