Re: Streaming replication and sharding

From: " René Romero Benavides" <ichbinrene(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Streaming replication and sharding
Date: 2013-02-18 21:01:28
Lists: pgsql-general

There's also one project called Postgres-XC which seems very promising, but
I'm kind of wary about its level of maturity.

On Monday, February 18, 2013 08:00:33 AM Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Tiemo Kieft wrote:
>
> > We are developing an application that uses various web analytics packages
> > (like Google Analytics) to
run analyses on. We are currently in closed
> > beta stadium where we don't have a lot of data in the database, but at
> > some point it will grow considerably.
> >
> > We basically have two different sets of data, on the one hand we have raw
> > metrics from the datasource,
and on the other hand we have account and
> > meta information. The former can be re-downloaded at any time, and will
> > grow to quite large sizes. The latter set is the one that we really care
> > about, and don't want to risk losing.
> >
> > Currently we plan on using streaming replication to replicate all data to
> > at least one slave, for the
near future this will do, since we can run
> > some of the large (read-only) aggregation queries on the slave database.
> > In the future the dataset might grow to the point where we need to start
> > thinking about sharding. The analytics data can be sharded on a
> > per-customer basis, and doesn't have to be replicated.
> >
> > Since Postgres doesn't support per-table streaming replication (as far as
> > I can tell), the only
solution would be to run two separate instances of
> > postgres per server. One instance is replicated to all servers, and will
> > contain account and other important information. The other instance is
> > used to store analytics data. Is this a viable way of solving this
> > problem, or are we overlooking something?
> > The problem is not really immediate, as the dataset is currently small
> > enough to fit on one machine
(and replicated to a second), just want to

--
René Romero Benavides @iCodeiExist @PgsqlMx

Postgresql Tips en español para la comunidad de México e Hispanoamérica.
http://postgresql.org.mx