Re: [HACKERS] Sequences....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ryan Bradetich <rbrad(at)hpb50023(dot)boi(dot)hp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Sequences....
Date: 1999-03-16 03:23:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> As long as a sequence can point to more than
>> one table/column combination.

Doesn't seem like a problem to me --- as far as I understood Ryan,
the new table he's proposing would only contain entries for sequences
created to implement SERIAL keywords. For those, I think there should
indeed be a 1-1 mapping between parent table (+column) and resulting
sequence.

But yeah, don't break usage of ordinary standalone sequences ;-).

Another thing to think about is what it's going to take to dump and
reload this structure in pg_dump. We need to be able to reconstitute
the system tables' contents and the current value of the SERIAL sequence
after a reload.