Re: Make subquery alias optional in FROM clause

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Make subquery alias optional in FROM clause
Date: 2017-02-22 17:09:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2017-02-22 at 08:13 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> I'll contribute to the popular demand aspect but given that the error
> is
> good and the fix is very simple its not exactly a strong desire.

In one project i've recently seen, for some reasons, they need to
maintain an application twice, one for Oracle and the other for
Postgres for years. To be honest, subqueries aren't the only problem,
but having this solved in the backend itself would help to decrease the
amount of maintenance efforts in such projects.

I thought that this would be another thing to make the migration pains
more less, without being too invasive, given that there were already
some thoughts about relaxing alias usage.