Re: JDBC String to Bool spec

From: rob stone <floriparob(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jorge Solórzano <jorsol(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Wooten <kdubb(at)me(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC String to Bool spec
Date: 2017-01-16 21:16:02
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

> > Since we now know the JDBC spec doesn’t support this (thanks to all
> > of Mark Rotteveel’s sleuthing) & we know Postgres doesn’t support
> > this.  It seems the “feature" should be removed or placed behind an
> > option.  Postgres results in an error here and considering this is
> > a driver tied to that database I look to that to clarify ambiguity.
> > These examples should all result in an error.
> >

> Yes, I agree, a "feature" that allows bad code should be considered
> a "bug".

The OP in the original post used a string of "1.0" and wanted to
convert it into a boolean. If you use setBoolean in a prepared
statement it expects the argument to be a "numeric" type, so it is not
surprising that the string was converted to a double. You'd expect
something along the lines of ps.setBoolean(5,"xyz") to throw an error.

I don't know how many string values are to be considered "true" in the
application. Maybe use some regular expressions to suss out "true"
values?

My two cents.

Rob