Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Bax <fbax(at)execulink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OpenBSD startup - logfile?
Date: 2000-10-17 16:49:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Frank Bax <fbax(at)execulink(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks. When I remove -S then the command never completes?

Oh, OK. It wasn't clear what context you were starting the postmaster
in. Evidently it's from a script that has other things to do. You
need to put an ampersand "&" at the end of the command line to fork off
a separate process for the postmaster. I had mistakenly assumed your
"pgwrap" thingy was doing something like that.

> How do I redirect stderr?

Depends what shell you're using, but on sh-derived shells adding
2>&1
after the >>file phrase will put stderr into the same file as stdout.