Re: 7.3 : how add user when last user have lost 'createuser' option

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: alban <alban_dot_minassian_(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3 : how add user when last user have lost 'createuser' option
Date: 2003-11-08 21:15:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

> alban wrote:
>> i have execute
>> ALTER USER postgres WITH NOCREATEUSER;

> Uh, you removed createuser permission from the postgres super-user.

That was a really bad move :-(

If you have no superusers left, I think your only option is to shut down
the postmaster, start a standalone backend, and ALTER USER postgres back
to superuser status in the standalone backend. Then you can restart the
postmaster.

IIRC this will work in 7.3 and probably 7.2. If you're running
something older, you are well and truly hosed, because you can't
reclaim superuser status even with a standalone backend.