posgres optimizer not using the index on hstore HELP

From: adam <adhamm31(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: posgres optimizer not using the index on hstore HELP
Date: 2016-07-18 15:18:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a simple query select on the hstore attribute "EMAIL_ADDRESS". but the
thing is i'm using a parameter in the query to specify which hstore
attribute I want to access, and when using a parameter the index which I
created is suppressed; whereas when I hard code the attribute
"EMAIL_ADDRESS" then the index is used. this is the index I created:

create index indx_email on contact using btree
((contact_attributes->'EMAIL_ADDRESS'::text));

the query is:

select * from contact where contact_attributes->$parameter =
"fqwefd(at)hotmail(dot)com';

when I hardcode the attribute like below it the index is used.

select * from contact where contact_attributes->'EMAIL_ADDRESS' =
"fqwefd(at)hotmail(dot)com';