Re: SQL function triggers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Blaha <bblaha(at)umr(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL function triggers
Date: 2002-10-15 14:07:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

Brian Blaha <bblaha(at)umr(dot)edu> writes:
> I would like to write a function as a set of SQL statements, and then
> use that function
> in a trigger. However, since triggers require a return type of opaque,
> and SQL functions
> cannot return type opaque, this doesn't look possible.

You could call a SQL function from a trigger, but it can't be a trigger
itself; at present triggers have to be in C, plpgsql, or pltcl (maybe
plpython? Not sure about that one).

For what you are doing (transferring info from one table to another)
I suspect a rule might work better than a trigger anyway.