Re: DB Performance Tuning

From: romje(at)javaxpert(dot)com
To: "nilesh khode" <nilesh_khode(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Performance Tuning
Date: 2006-09-05 15:24:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, September 5, 2006 5:08 pm, nilesh khode wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on database performace tuning on Postgresql 8.1 database
> build on Suse 10 Linux dedicated server. I am having 32 GB of RAM and 8
> CPUs.

nice machine :)

> I have made minimum recommended settings under postgresql.conf (i.e
> shared_buffer, work_mem, and effective cache_size also kernel.shmmax)
>
> I have run SQL queries using pg-admin, the query execution + retrieval
> time is 80% reduced over existing server.
> But same I tested with JDBC, the query requires more time as compared
> with existing server.

what 's the driver used ? do you use statement or preparedstatement ?
the time given is made after 1 query or the same query repeated x times
then dividing the whole time by x ?
have you tried to use jdbc proxy (p6spy for instance) to watch the query ?
to know where the time is spent (don't use it in production !!!)
> Please help me out in this performance tuning.

HTH
Jerome

--
Auteur cahiers du programmeur J2EE - Eyrolles 2003