Re: Debian and Postgres

From: rob stone <floriparob(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Debian and Postgres
Date: 2016-05-04 23:38:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2016-05-04 at 14:51 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> > I can connect via psql and issue queries without any problems.
> > Trying
> > to connect via JDBC fails. Trying to connect by an application
> > fails.
> Are you using the same connection parameters?
>
> In particular are you using local for the psql connection and some
> form
> of host for the others?
>
> I ask because this looks somewhat similar to this thread:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3xazWDA6asEDDYHcKF_5oSFP4SZj8
> taVHwSF68wM=VMY7V-A(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>
> where the solution:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAM3xazWDA6asEDDYHcKF_5oSFP4SZj8
> taVHwSF68wM=VMY7V-A(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>
> was:
>
> "That was indeed the root cause. The /etc/hosts file on the server
> had
> incorrect permissions which caused localhost to not resolve."

/etc/hosts has a file date of Dec 19 2014.

Everything worked fine yesterday. Absolutely nothing has been altered
except some packages have been removed and none of the log files can
give me a clue as to which ones.

I'll just have to continue hunting around trying to figure out what I
did and probably file a bug report against synaptic for losing the
removal info from its history logs.

Cheers,
Rob