Re: Database Scalability

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)silentmedia(dot)com>
To: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Scalability
Date: 2021-12-01 14:53:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Mladen Gogala wrote on 11/30/21 7:52 PM:

> To my knowledge PostgreSQL doesn't support sharding, which is well and
> good because sharding is mostly useless, at least in my opinion.

OK I'll bite.

Not only does PostgreSQL natively support table partitioning (which is
absolutely a form of sharding), there multiple well-regarded extensions
that can help with sharding, all of which are orthogonal to how you can
configure your application to use Postgres in the first place. So to say
Postgres doesn't support sharding is.... misleading, at best.

Also, the general concept of sharding to move your scaling challenges
from vertical ones to horizontal ones has multiple self-evident
advantages. If your work history has all happened to fit on a single
server, then bully for you, but not everybody has it so easy.