Re: anti-join with small table via text/varchar cannot estimate rows correctly

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stefan Andreatta <s(dot)andreatta(at)synedra(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: anti-join with small table via text/varchar cannot estimate rows correctly
Date: 2017-03-02 01:06:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Stefan Andreatta <s(dot)andreatta(at)synedra(dot)com> writes:
> The same anti-join using the text fields, however estimates just 1
> resulting row, while there are still of course 9,999 of them:

> =# explain analyze
> select tmp_san_1.id
> from tmp_san_1
> left join tmp_san_2 on tmp_san_1.text = tmp_san_2.text
> where tmp_san_2.id is null;

That is not an anti-join. To make it one, you have to constrain the RHS
join column to be IS NULL, not some random other column. Note the join
type isn't getting shown as Anti:

> Hash Left Join (cost=1.02..192.53 rows=1 width=4) (actual time=0.020..3.091 rows=9999 loops=1)

As written, the query could return some rows that weren't actually
antijoin rows, ie tmp_san_1.text *did* have a match in tmp_san_2,
but that row chanced to have a null value of id.

Possibly the planner could be smarter about estimating for this case,
but it doesn't look much like a typical use-case to me.