Error installing 9.5 on Win 2012 R2: data dir not created

From: DerekW <derek(at)cmainfo(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error installing 9.5 on Win 2012 R2: data dir not created
Date: 2016-01-18 15:40:21
Lists: pgsql-general

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 and upgrading from 9.4.5 to 9.5. I
was unable to get pg_upgrade to work so my upgrade path is:1) Backup with
pg_dumpall2) Uninstall 9.43) Install 9.54) Restore dataThis worked
sucessfully on one server. I am now having issues following the same
procedure on a second server, in that the /data directory is not being
created and I get the following error messages near the end of the install
procedure:*Failed to load SQL modules into the database cluster.Problem
running post-install step. Installation may not complete properly.Error
reading file C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/9.5/data/postgresql.conf*postgresql.conf doesn't exist
since the /data subdirectory does not exist. I have tried deleting and
re-creating the postgres user account, with no luck.Please can some help
with what is preventing the data directory being created.