Re: feature request: pg_restore renaming target schema

From: CN <cnliou9(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: feature request: pg_restore renaming target schema
Date: 2015-12-17 16:18:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015, at 11:34 PM, John Scalia wrote:
> Maybe a bit off-postgresql, but why couldn't you just add to your
> existing automations script, Use sed or your favorite stream editor
> and have that do the renaming in the dump output? FWIW, Jay
> or over the web

I thought this approach before I raised this request. I had peeked the
dumped file and had a feeling that manipulating the dumped file with
stream editors was infeasible because I thought that the source schema
name was scrambled everywhere in the dumped file, data included.

Having received your message, I started to think that the approach I
gave up in the very beginning might actually be the feasible one -
thinking that you would not have mentioned it otherwise!

Hence I went back and took a more thorough look at the dumped file and
happily to find that it *appears* to me that I only need to edit the
first several lines of the dumped file in addition to such lines:

ALTER FUNCTION <schema name>.my_function(....) OWNER TO ....

With that said, the appearance pattern of source schema name in the
dumped file seems to be predictable. I will study more to make sure
stream editors can do this job.

Many thanks for the hint!

Best Regards, CN

--