grant connect on database

From: spur230 <sabinpradhan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: grant connect on database
Date: 2015-12-16 17:05:13
Lists: pgsql-general

I am using Postgres 9.4. I created a login role and gave select to all
tables to a schema as follows:

create role fix;
create role dcv login password 'mypassword' in role fix;
grant select on all tables on schema xzy to dcv';

I was able to connect to the database without giving 'grant connect on
database db1 to dcv'

My question is when do I have to explicitly give connect grant? How did
user dcv connect to database without the connect privilege?

Thanks