"Pretend" update

From: Perry Smith <pedzsan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "Pretend" update
Date: 2013-10-01 17:16:58
Lists: pgsql-general

With "make" I can do "make -n" and it just tells me what it would do but doesn't actually do anything.

How could I do that with SQL?

I want to write a really complicated (for me) SQL UPDATE statement. I'm sure I won't get it right the first time. Is there an easy way to not really make the changes?

I've thought about starting a transaction and then roll it back. That would undo the changes. But I won't be able to tell what the changes were.

Thank you for your time,
Perry