Re: RPM Upgrading

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Binand Sethumadhavan <binand(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RPM Upgrading
Date: 2015-10-01 18:55:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

On Thu, 2015-10-01 at 08:17 +0530, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:

> I am thinking of using 9.5 alpha on a (non-production) database
> server that is currently running 9.2. The server is CentOS 6.4. Can I
> just do rpm -Uvh and hope it will all be fine or do I have to go
> through full dump/restore or even the pg_upgrade-based procedure?

Depends on how you installed 9.2 on CentOS 6.4. If you used the
community RPMs for 9.2, then you can install 9.5 in parallel and then
use pg_upgrade.

However, if they are CentOS RPMs, then first replace them with
community RPMs (fully binary compatible, only default $PGDATA is
difference), and then install 9.5.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ